VIEWING AND EDITING PROTECTED DOCUMENTS IN THE BROWSER
FOR OFFICE 365, SHAREPOINT AND ONEDRIVE
SECURE COLLABORATION WITHOUT DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING AGENTS
SECURE COLLABORATION WITHOUT DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING AGENTS
Thousands of businesses collaborate daily using the Microsoft Office 365 cloud. They upload their documents to OneDrive, manage critical documents with SharePoint Online or send emails with attachments that may contain confidential information.
AUTOMATIC PROTECTION WITHOUT USER INTERVENTION
SealPath allows Office 365 users to easily and flexibly manage their most critical information. Simply dragging or uploading documents to a file, which completely protects them. Users can control who accesses their documents, when and with which permissions, as well as remotely deleting documents, even those in the hands of external users.
With SealPath you can automatically secure the documentation stored on Share-Point or OneDrive without requiring user intervention. It is not necessary to trust the user to perform manual protection.
… AND NOW VIEWING AND EDITING WITHOUT AGENTS OR DOWNLOADS
Thus when users download the documentation from a certain library it travels with SealPath protection and you can control who opens it and when or revoke the permission remotely. Additionally, to facilitate management to the IT department and gain in agility, a business user may manage a server’s file permissions at any time using the Seal-Path automated protection. They can forget having to make requests to TIC and the associated waiting time involved. The administrator initially applies a generic policy for said file with the business user adding and removing permissions where necessary.
When users start using new tools or processes are implemented that increase the security level of the information that is managed, the benefits of protection can be perceived as friction. In new collaborative environments, users expect applications and processes with protected information to behave in the same way as with unprotected information.
SealPath has always prioritised the usability of its applications, enabling Office documents to be shared with third parties that don’t require agents to be installed. However, in terms of viewing and editing the information in the browser, since it is encrypted, a local download was required because the browser couldn’t display it.
Now, files protected with SealPath can protect themselves when stored in Office 365 or SharePoint and can also be viewed, edited, controlled and shared without installing agents. And this applies to Office files as well as to PDFs and other formats.
MAXIMUM USABILITY WHILE MAINTAINING TOTAL CONTROL
With the new editing and viewing capabilities for protected documents in the browser, collaborators can access and edit documents in Office 365 and SharePoint without having to install agents or clients, maintaining the highest level of security and usability. Now, they can share files that contain sensitive information without sacrificing control or agility.
Users have become accustomed to certain platforms, including Office 365 and SharePoint, to work with information directly in the browser. Let’s look at how users can now manage protected information without downloading anything:
- Mark uploads a document to SharePoint online directly from the browser or through OneDrive to a document library secured by SealPath. The administrator has configured it so that only certain users can access and are limited to what they can do (e.g. view, edit, but not print, etc.).
- When the document arrives in the document library, it is automatically protected by SealPath. Mark did not need to take any additional actions.
- Now he can share folders and files within this document library with Andrew, an internal user within the company who can view and edit the document, and with Ann, an external collaborator of a supplier partner, who can only view it.
- Andrew receives the link and decides to make changes. With SealPath, he is managing the file securely in his browser and if he tries to print it or ‘copy and paste’ content into another file he will not be able to do so. However, when he makes changes, they are saved correctly in the system.
- The link to the document reaches Ann, who can view it in her browser securely from her computer (whether it is Windows, Mac, Linux or Chromebook) but cannot print it, download it, extract content or modify it.
- If Andrew decides to download it, the protection travels with the file and the company maintains control of it with SealPath.
- Through SealPath, Mark can check who has accessed it, whether someone has tried to access without permissions, etc.
In short, Mark, Andrew and Ann are managing protected information in the same way that they would work with an unprotected document. However, the company can be sure that its sensitive information is secure and under control.
THE BENEFITS OF INTUITIVE AND SECURE COLLABORATION
The new secure viewing and editing functionality in the browser enables companies that use SharePoint or Office 365:
- 100% secure agent-less management of the most sensitive information: Users can trust SealPath to store, share and modify files securely without requiring any type of software download.
- Collaborate easily and securely with third parties: Users can collaborate on Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDFs, etc. in a secure web environment while maintaining the company’s confidentiality policies and the information security on the files on any type of device.
- Facilitate users’ adoption of secure documents: The barriers or proposals of resistance to change that may occur among users when managing secure information are eliminated. It is very simple to use, it doesn’t affect normal workflows: If users prefer to access from a browser, they can do so, and also edit locally within Office if it is more convenient to work with the document on the desktop.
- Automatic protection without user intervention: Once the administrator has decided to apply a protection policy on a folder, all the user needs to do is to save the documents that are needed there. They are protected immediately when they are uploaded to the system.
- Monitoring, control, revocation: Of course, the same as with other SealPath files, the company can specify who accesses, when and with which permissions. It is possible to see who is accessing and whether someone attempts to access without permissions. And if at some point it is decided to restrict access to a document, this can be done even if the documents have already been downloaded from Office 365 or SharePoint and are on a third party’s network.